A St. Paul mother says her 10-year-old daughter has been diagnosed with a serious case of mold exposure.

On Friday, the Minnesota Department of Health confirmed the child had been exposed to mold in a home where it was growing.

Mold is a microscopic form of bacteria that grows on surfaces and can cause serious illness.

The Minnesota Department for Health has a list of conditions that can cause mold exposure including:heart failure, respiratory problems, brain trauma, kidney disease, respiratory illnesses, respiratory infections, kidney failure, pulmonary embolism, pneumonia, pneumonia complications, and a bacterial skin infection.

A spokesperson for the department said the department has opened an investigation into the case.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mold exposure can cause skin irritation and inflammation, headaches, loss of appetite, dizziness, nausea, skin rash, and even a condition called ocular dryness.

The CDC advises people to avoid outdoor surfaces, indoor areas, and areas where people are likely to come in contact with mold, including pools, laundry rooms, and basements.