Mold in shower can infect kids, even if they are not exposed to the air, new research suggests.

Researchers from Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology analyzed data from a study that tracked the health of 5,400 children who were exposed to a variety of indoor and outdoor mold in a Massachusetts-area hotel.

The data showed that the kids who were infected were more likely to have breathing problems, higher rates of asthma and other respiratory issues, and lower levels of body-fat.

The study found that the mold was able to thrive and spread to the children because they did not get enough air.

The mold can live for up to two years inside a shower, the researchers found.

The researchers say that mold can also grow inside of pipes, where it can spread and become airborne.

That could lead to infections, such as moldy nose and throat, which can be life-threatening.

Researchers say mold spores can be passed through clothing, including clothing made from a synthetic material like nylon or polyester.

“It’s a major problem for children,” said David Rauch, a microbiologist at the Massachusetts General Hospital and one of the study authors.

“It can be transmitted by clothing and that can lead to serious illness.”

The Harvard researchers say the results should serve as a warning for people who are considering a shower.

“Children should wear their shoes and socks and wash their hands in the sink before using a shower,” Rauchard said.

“If you’re using a toilet or sink, it’s a good idea to wash your hands.”

Follow @kyletorpey