— Moulds that are forming on furniture and in the air can pose a health risk to people and their pets, the Environmental Protection Agency said Thursday.
The agency says the mold is coming from mold in the attic, but said it has no way to verify the source of the contamination.
The mold, which is found on mattresses and other furniture in bathrooms, spas and other rooms, has been found in at least four states and in Wisconsin, according to the EPA.
The agency says that Wisconsin is among the states where mold can be found in homes.
The EPA says it is working with the state’s health department to help educate the public on mold and to identify mold sources and potential risks.
Mold can cause skin, respiratory and gastrointestinal problems.
It can also be a problem in a house if the moisture level in the walls or ceilings are too low.