A mold outbreak has led to a man in Pennsylvania being hospitalized with respiratory and gastrointestinal issues, the state health department said Friday.
The man, identified as James W. McNeill, 35, had symptoms that included fever, chest pain and a cough, the Pennsylvania Department of Health said in a statement.
The department said McNeill had been treated at a nearby hospital for a respiratory infection, but was not released until his symptoms resolved.
The outbreak has been traced to an old drywall mold outbreak at a Philadelphia home, where McNeill lives, the department said.
The mold outbreak was first reported in June, when McNeill reported he had a cold.
The Pennsylvania Department for Environmental Protection said the agency has responded to more than 400 reports of mold in drywall since then.
The state is taking steps to limit the spread of mold, including a ban on outdoor use, the health department added.